Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gotta start somewhere....








It has been quite a while since I last posted. The short version is I am back in school, this time pursuing a studio degree in art, with a focus on metals, painting and printmaking. Being self-taught, this experience is a dream come true. Surrounded by talented professors and students, I feel very alive and challenged, having access to a 30,000 sq ft multi media studio is a good thing! I am learning technical aspects in painting that are helping my eye become more sensitive to light, color, and form. painting slow and with intention are new concepts for me, I am committed to learning several styles, Currently glazing is what I am practicing, the building of thin layers, using the white canvas to push the light through the color. I admit it is very frustrating for me to work in this method. it is slow and methodical, you have to wait for the layers to dry. After the frustration passes however, I see the results, and began to have intention with every stroke of the brush. That's another thing, I am teaching myself to use brushes! Imagine that, well it is possible, and not having to worry about whether i will die from soaking cadmium into my skin is nice also. I am taking a metals one class, and have started to investigate the ring form. Most of the work I am teaching myself, watching the advanced students and asking lots of questions. Here are some samples of last weeks work. The rings are in varoius stages of finishing, experimenting with an ammonia sawdust tobacco bury. The green ring has a flame patina with cupric nitrate wash. The painting is still being built up, I am painting over an old painting of a chair that I did that wasn't all that. Oh yes, hello again:), if your have followed my blog in the past, and welcome if you are new. Please feel free to comment and leave feedback, critiques are welcome, don't worry I got thick skin, and I am committed to learning all I can in my field!

9 comments:

Ron said...

I was thinking about you just the other day, wondering what you were doing. Good luck w. the school thing. Were are you taking classes? ASU? Keep us updated.

FetishGhost said...

Congratulations! ASU is a great choice, There's lots of fantastic teachers, the facilities are ample, and Tempe is a blast! A perfect place to do a bunch of grow'n!
Please keep posting!

Tracey Broome said...

JEFF!! So weird, but like Ron I was also thinking about you.The Habitat store in Durham has a huge stack of window sashes for $1 a piece and I bought some for my studio. I got in Shakori and was wondering if you will be there.The new work looks wonderful and exciting and you sound full of positive energy. So great for you! Glad to see you back blogging, I don't do Facebook so I am out of touch with folks. We are still enjoying your painting very much.

Zoe Nelson said...

Hey! Welcome back, Jeff! I'm enjoying seeing your new work. Your interest in metals should entice you to enroll in my metal clay class! It's a whole 'nother animal when working with metal and with your clay background I bet you'd love it.

Colleen said...

Glad to see you're back!

Jefski said...

Hi everyone:), glad to be back! Ron and Tracey, I fully believe that energy is what makes synchronicity happen. Zoe, are you teaching in the spring? Hello sister Colleen, love you, please send me link to your blog, so I can see what you've been up to in the Far East!

About Me said...

Hi Jeff;

I was wondering what happened to you too. Good for you on going back to school, been thinking about it myself.
Best of luck to you.

Jefski Samo said...

School is great! You should do it, And F.Ghost, I forgot to mention I am at Appalachian State, which is in NC:)

Jessica Wood Capps said...

Hi Jeff,

I check in on your blog every now and then since I bought a mug from you a while back. I can see a great deal of improvement in your paintings! Keep up the good work!

I miss your clay work. What made you change directions?

Jess