Sunday, May 16, 2010

double down sucka.






a lot of things have happened since i last blogged. started up a lawn care business. martin's mowing "mow for your money". thanks to the support of my friends, i have landed five accounts in the first week. going out and estimating jobs was interesting, seeing that my last experience with pricing lawns was when i was fifteen, and the customer would tell me what they would pay. looking back on that is funny. i would mow big lawns, with a small scrappy old mower, listening to guns and roses or metallica on my tape deck, mowing for two or threes hours and getting paid jack. and by jack, i mean jack mother fuckin squat. haha, they would throw me a twenty, and i was rollin, money for skate gear and the movies, but mostly for gambling at the pool tables. i would go to fat daddy's restaurant, to the downstairs bar section, with my ratty looking skate friends. high on nicotine, salty french fries, and lots of coke(cola), we would play each other for smokes, and every now and then land a daytime drunk, or older teen, and try a swing a hustle. our young looks and size made for a good decoy. little did they know we lived in my buddies basement, shooting stick into the early early, we were obsessed. every now and then we would get taken, and walk out with only our smokes and skates. still fucking happy and high on the fallen hustle. i got in too deep early on, before the fat daddy days, in my buddies basement. i keep betting double or nothing with the older neighbor, steadily losing my shit, getting deeper and deeper in the hole. finally he called it off with me owing a couple of hundred. i was thirteen. i thought it was all a joke, i wasn't going to pay him. he then explained to me that i would pay him, or his friend who like to break people's noses would coming to see me. he explained that his friend was a kung fu master kind of guy, he would probably use his foot to break my nose. i was a bit freaked out, this guy was no angel himself, and the only reason he didn't pummel me for shirking on a bet was neighborhood politics, namely my 6ft5" step dad and uncle who were a bit intimidating to piss off. whose to say if his friend would have done shit.....needless to say i settled the debt for half, and had to come clean with my parents to get the money. no more gambling on pool for me after that one....well, okay no more doubling down past more than i had in reserve!....but as far as the parents thought, no more gambling...shooting pool for cash taught me many lessons, and built my confidence., i landed my first real job at 15, by beating the day manager at burger king. that is another story in it's self. a bukowski one at that..i continued to shoot money for pool until my late twenties, due to my mixing booze in the equation, i am not sure how i did overall. i would say i am up five;)...so yes, the new lawn hustle is new on many fronts, estimating, promoting, buying equipment, but yet very familiar on so many others. the memories are being dragged up from the bottom of this ocean, i am swimming in my youth while the clippings fill the air with promise, the sweat baths my skin with life, and the sun kisses my skin. i love the lawn biz. the art show last week was ok, nothing spectacular on the money front. my daughter was there, i so lots of friends, and the sun was shining, so over all it was great. i also had a huge shift occur in me that is revealing itself more and more. here is a process series, that shows the oil on glass method. have a great day-peace.

4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

those parts of our lives that shape the future- you never know when they will come back.
I have a count of 14 windows for you when you are down this way call me.

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

so damn true it hurts. thank you so much...

Joaki said...

Very interesante and creativo...congratuleition, my english,bad,bad,bad, jajajajaja.-greetings. Joaki

Quietgirl said...

dig it