Friday, January 29, 2010

pajama's, 800 f., and solid rebellion










i have yet to take pics of the new platters, hoping to get access to a friend's wife's photography studio...on other fronts, the first round of pagoda palnters are in the kiln. i awoke before dawn with alot of anxiety that the had exploded, even though i force dried them in the kiln for more than 24 hrs! so i hopped out of bed and went out into the studio. the kiln was reading 800f. now most people would hesitate to open a container that is reading 800 degrees, but i strolled right over, tapped the lid handle to make sure it wasn't 800 f, and then acracked it super quick like, and to my delight they were all sittin' pretty..my life was at once backe in harmony and every thing was true and good on the world! interesting way to start the day, welcome to my life...so, after much research and pondering, i have decided that single-firing these bad boys is the way to go. the use of a bisque fire is done more out of traditional convention than function. bisque firing came about when majolica deco was being discovered. before that pots were only fired once....it makes no sense for me to do a combined seventy hour fire, when i can achieved similar results with a thity-five hr one. i am doing two things that most potter are taught not to do in the universities. one i am only firing once, applying the slips/gazes/stains/ during the greenware stage..2. i am firing solid b thick blocks of clay. these sculptures are not made from slabs. the are made from sold parts of clay. i want the planters to have a very real feel to how the look visually. strong, rock-like cliffs and heavy stone bases. this will also help with the function , since some of the plants will sit high and could tip over if not weighted properly...most will say " hey! you can not fire solid clay! how dare you you!..well, i believe i can...it is just a matter of how slow i fire and cool the pieces..the current time frame for this round is 25 hours up with a very slow crawl thru quartz inversion and 15 hrs down to 750..so we shall see...i am very hopeful..we shall see...wherever you are, hope your day is good and you are living in passion and truth! today is all we have......

7 comments:

cindy shake said...

keeping my fingers crossed... Great pieces, can't wait to see the platters!

traceybroome@mindspring.com said...

Rebel Yell! ( Billy Idol I think? I can't remember!)
You know, I have once fired much of my kid's class sculptures just because of time limitations and I have never once lost a piece. They just gotta be dry. Things are looking bright there at you place!

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

hopefully this week cindy, thanks!..and tracey, that is good to hear, i fell like i am in a uncomfortable firing territory here, not not many fire solid blocks..so i am going to find out myself!

jim gottuso said...

hi jeff, the piece in the 5th pic down does it for me. can't wait to see it fired. that's one big ass platter and a nice big canvas of clay. good luck with the firing

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

thanks jim, big ass platter and my mind is black on what to do!..the planters will be unloade in five hrs...pretty excited myself!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Hi, Jeff. I just found your blog because you won a piece of Dan Finnegan's pottery on HIS blog. (Dan is my boss at LibertyTown Arts Workshop.)

But, I already knew your work because I bought what I call a smoothie cup--happy pig--at a gallery in Boone while I was taking a workshop at Cheap Joe's. I love it and drink my yogurt smoothie out of it every morning!

I'm looking forward to seeing your new work in the coming days.

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

hi elizabeth, nice to meet you! i love how we find each other...dan's blog is a great source of inspiration for me!..nice to meet you!