Monday, January 4, 2010

baby it's cold outside....




shoot. 6 degrees this morning, with sub-zero temps, a ten day stretch of this.....coldest winter i have experienced up here so far. ..i love it. really...there had been lots of snow, and i like the extreme weather. makes me feel alive! there do seem to be a lot of whiners up here though...you are living in the mountains for god sake,...toughen up. this is glorious!people don't like when i tell them that they are being wimpy...takes the wind out of their wimp-sails. oh well... the fierce winds, deep snow drifts, cascading ice flows, crisp hard air filling my lungs as i truck up a ridge line, all of it fills me with wonder. hell i want to tell the whiners that if they don't like weather move to the flatland....this is a land of struggle and triumph over one's comfort zone. mountain people have lived here for centuries, and they are no whiners. just shiners' haha...anyways i digress, i am leaving for a trip down to asheville to pick up some low-fire slip i came across on craigs' list, and then a trip to highwaters for materials, i will be loading the hell up! lots of new stains, glazes...the works! all for the platters, which i view as canvases.....the slip guy is liquidating his mother's slip-casting business, and says there is a basement full of molds. sweet. his mother is 87 and has dementia, so we have to be delicate in this situation. she is still very much in the mindset, that she will work again...this will probably be me. my kids having to divert my attention, as they sell off my studio... i have dealt with my grandpa's dementia first hand, and it is a shitty disease, i don't wish it on anyone....well the platter's are coming right along. it is a very different way of working for me...each platter takes a good amount of time to make and then even longer to deco, and then forever to dry..i am used to working fast, so i have to keep telling myself that it is okay to take a ;longer on a piece...now that i worked out the firing issue, i feel much less stressed know ing i might lose the platter in the final process..that can be quite nerve-racking...here are some new ones the marbled clay one is my fav. it will get some glass in the carved circle, and the protruding bisqued pieces are receiving some glaze effects. the overall aesthetic is a primal sculptural feel, the marble clay makes me think of the planets for some reason..have a good day.

5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Thought of you today; I read Still Alice last night. Those are some great surfaces on your platters.

cindy shake said...

Great platters. Lucky you on the CL find! That's how I found one of my kilns! I love treasure hunting :o) Glad you are off to a good start for 2010.

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

thanks linda. yes, i try be a treasure hunter full time...thanks cindy...hope y'alls 2010 is off to good start too!

shannon said...

i am liking your enthusiasm, for clay and the fact that people are wimps! me included after this last weekend:( 30 fackin below!! i'm also happy you spelled aesthetic correctly hehe...

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

did i spell it wrong before?...very unaesthetic of me....