Wednesday, October 14, 2009

ceramic cleavage






no reason to explain. i am back never really left. just been swallowed whole by the face-book social whale....so my art-life marches on, always evolving, and bored by the finished product mostly. i am stuck in the high of process and new territory...the main focus has been a ping pong dance back and forth paint and pot...mostly now i am slip-casting, which has thrown me more into the surface design, and less into the making of each piece. when i get honest about it, i am just trying to get my paintings on my pots..is that such a crime? maybe, but i always felt most deviously comfortable in translating the lines of obscurity. painting is both the poison and antidote. yes, i want to abuse ceramics and sling around tradition. hell i don't even feel like a potter these days..like i am robbing the vaults of ceramic history for whatever loot can help to glue my vision of color and collage. been experimenting with slips, stains, underglazes, glazes, and next decals...all in the hopes of transposing the images of creation and decay, through color, texture and language. these are some tea-cup shots from my last show... so in short i still don't know shit and am very happy finding out something new in my art everyday.

6 comments:

Dirt-Kicker Pottery said...

Hey Jeff, I just found your Blog. I really like your work. The tea-cups are fantastic. I also enjoy your straight forward blog style... None of that happy-happy, joy-joy crap :)

Patricia Griffin said...

happy to see you posting again... The one thing I know for sure is that "not knowing shit" is a great place to be in. Seems like I'm happiest when I just surrender to it...

MudStuffing Pottery said...

You had me at "cleavage"... no need to explain, but glad to see you posting again.

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

hi. it is good to be back..i forgot how much i like looking at others work-life here...keith we sure do like our cleavage;) or something like that.

traceybroome@mindspring.com said...

Jeff: great to see you blogging again, I don't do facebook so miss much of what some of you are doing, but I "ain't" going there, I will end up an addict! We should work something out, I like making pots hate the decorating part :) I love where you are going with the art on the cups!! NVN (nice very nice)

Jen Mecca said...

I like the red.It looks very urban - street funk! Jen