Thursday, April 30, 2009

what is the 401k homie...

well, life in the the art biz will never be same for me. i have tasted the joy of having an employee do the jobs i'd rather not do. that is right i have hired someone to come on borad and take the jeffmartinceramic experience to the next level. he is working right now, two hours a day. he is a woodworker by trade, and is out of work. the plan was to have him work trhis week, so i could crank it for my two shows coming up. i have him doing the slipcasting, pouring,releasing, and cleaning. it frees me up to concentrate on looking at the facbook, just kidding! really, it allows me do do the designn work on the pots and so far my output has doubled since he has been here. i learned a little secret of capitalism, outsource basic labor! at first, i was like i don't really have the money to pay someone, but once i crunched the numbers, it is well worth my while to bring someone in to do the simple tasks that consume much of my time. i just have one part of the equation to fill, keep the pots moving! bringing someone in, means i can expand with my galleries and and online biz. so, i do not know how long he will work here, but i do know this, i am all about having a part time assistant now! it is on! i also enjoy the company, he has good tatse in music(mine), and likes to drink the yerba mate with me and make some pots...sweet. here is a small vid, of him being laborious..and the new mug form i casted, it is huge. emma's teacher uses it and wants a custom one. ..

4 comments:

Christine--RHP said...

You have a slave!!!!! (I'm so jealous...)

and Kruder and Dorfmeister in the house!---makes for a good working environment.....good for you!

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

nice call on the music! not many could pick that up...bug powder remix is my favorite track by them..

jim gottuso said...

i think you may be onto something there... but that may be the only way to significantly increase output.

Christine--RHP said...

OMG--BPD is the BEST! the whole K&D sessions has to be the all time, high mileage award studio music...that and Thievery Corp.

I won't be getting a studio slave anytime soon but I plan to outsource some work--part of the 'calculated growth' business plan...