Wednesday, March 18, 2009

rips and sticks...



i have about fours-five hours of solid studio time, before i pick emma up from school...yesterday i slip-casted, while doing deco-work on the dryer tumblers. i am very new at this technique and the process is teaching me daily. the slip drys very fast when the weather is nice, the humidity low, and being that i can produce work at a fairly fast rate, i have altered my design work a bit. i will do a design on the tumbler and then "run" with it on the next four. there is a evolution as new ideas pop into my head. i like this. i also am just working through a fixed design, so that i can produce matching sets. like this too...
so..the next step is branching out with the forms. i feel somewhat limited with my skill making molds..for instance this pic above of a face cup is the culmination of eight hours of design work, both in creating the original sculpture, and in re-working the cast, so i can get the mold out! and it still rips and sticks. i will have to discard this mold, and that is hard for me to do...but i do know how to cast the mold differently next time...well, as far as forms, i can utilize my wheel skills! i have not thrown in over a month! a combination of slip casting and wheel-work will suit my needs fine. i have a new-gallery meeting tomm. and excited to to see the results of the kiln that is cooling..

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

Matched sets of your tumblers sounds great, I can't imagine making a mold from tha sculpture, sounds very complicated. What a nice shot of your studio.