Tuesday, February 17, 2009

pwwwhh..










well, i have hit a wall... while the first batch of slip worked well, these last two batches have been hell. friggin bubbles, little tiny ones. i like bubbles, likle to blow them, play with them in the bath, but this is a different story..bubbles in my slip are hell on earth..yes, i sound dramatic, but i have spent three days of studio time, trying to trouble shoot this issue, and have adjusted, unadjusted, re-mixed, let stand,tapped, bumped, gently swirled, prayed, offered bribes, and well, i have had it! i have to produce work..period. so , i am waiting on a sample batch of slip that cambell's ceramics makes in viriginia..he says it is exactly what i am looking for. i hope so! i have a bunch of new thristy molds that are ready to go. if this slip does work..i will order 50 gallons of it, and be off and running. i would spend more time trying to figure this issue out, but i am frustrated, so i am frustrated so it is better to come back to it another day. i think the answer is i need a blunger, that can mix it slow for over twelve hours..right now i am just using my power drill, and i can only stand there for about ten minutes before i go crazy..the maddening part is the first batch was good, and i really didn't do anything different!..plus, i am out of dry mix,...really i would rather spend my time making molds, and doing deco, design work that making slip. i am totally okay with someone else doing that. as long as i nuy in large quantity, there isn't much difference..except the lack of a headache that this slippage has been giving me. i can live with that! well here are some shots of things that are happening, i will post some nice finished work shots up tomm..

5 comments:

Scott said...

Hi Jeff,
Looking at your pics I'm wondering if your problem could be solved by pouring your slip thru a sieve as its going into the mold. A simple wire kitchen sieve. Maybe 30-40 mesh.

good luck, Scott

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

okay, i will try that, thanks scott!

tsbroome said...

I like this new path you are taking. It's like your drawings have come to life. You should send something to the NC Pottery Center for the faces show/auction.

Patricia Griffin said...

Oh, the trials and tribs... Reminds me of when I kept having crazing problems with my clear glaze, I tried different firing, lots of cooling, modifying my application... Nada. Finally caved and called Laguna. Talked to the rep and ended up buying a more expensive special-order low-expansion glaze. I love it! No crazing! Worth the money? YOU BET!

Linda Starr said...

I agree about prioritizing what you what you like to do. I've gone the do it all myself route in other careers and worn myself out. Now I'm all for finding the shortcuts so I can concentrate on what I like to do best. In a Sandra Black workshop I took, she said she sieved all her slip. She did make her own but it was Southern Ice - nice but very expensive.