Thursday, January 29, 2009

moldy



moldness. this is the area of my brain now. part mold. starting see everything in terms of molds..like could i make a mold out of that? what steps would it take.. are there undercuts..i am going to attempt a two piece mold today. i told myself to wait until next week, to concentrate on one-piece molds this weeek..to hell with that, life is to short in the studio. the time is now. make or do not make..there is no try. yoda was a potter i believe, or at least friends with one. most of his food vessels were made out of clay...space clay. okay..i have made four successful molds so far, i am waiting for them to cure, before slipcasting starts. the plaster goes through a chemical process that gives it strength and porous-ness. the ability to wick water away from the liquid clay(slip)..here are two drinking vessels, that will be cast after this blog entry. i like taking my time on the design, i don't throw these thin, the walls are thicker than my normal work. this gives me a better edge in refining the form. i am not pushing the clay to its structural limits. i like thinking about the design as a set. how will six of these look together? i am excited, for once i get a good formi will be able to make exact sets. this is very different from my throwing style, which focuses more on alike-ness, than exactness...more pics later..

5 comments:

tsbroome said...

this is really exciting to see. I went to Asheboro with a friend last week and got some old sixties molds that were going to be thrown out.We are going to try some slip casting and see how these molds work out. Now I am thinking I would like to make some of my own!

MudStuffing Pottery said...

looks nice. What are you using to slip cast it? Something from HW or a recipe?

Linda Starr said...

At first I was thinking of moldy clay, but I didn't see any then I scrolled down. Wow, I've been thinking of molds for some time and now I see your post, your molds look great. thx.

Alex Mason said...

Hi, thanks for coming by my blog...great work and a great blog!

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

i would like to see those molds tracey(spelled right?)..keith i am using a hensley/ponslo cone 7 white slip out of andrew martin's bk. we will see. is supposedto be very translucent. thanks alex! i enjoy you work..