Saturday, January 3, 2009

goccolicous..






yoda..fairly chill day, two weeks no clay. this is longest i have gone since i started putting my hands in the clay, the break has been good. i am freakin chompin at the bit to get back in the silica shop. my goal for the month of jan. is to teach myself how to slipcast and makes some molds. i have no shows, no galleries to contact, and a couple of commissions that will pay the bills...
i am a little intimidated about this new phase, making molds involves some steps, and construction of braces, learning how to mix and use plaster, the concept of multiple piece molds, all kinds of new technical stuff that i will soak up. slip-casting will give me a larger vocabulary, and just be fun to experiment. i am very excited about the found object mugs that i am visualizing..on another tip, i also am working on a design portfolio to approach skate/street/surf/urban clothing companies with. i am always seeing clothes out there with "hip" designs and while there are some really fresh designers and clothing lines out there, there is plenty of space for different styles..i have so many design ideas, just lack the start up capital to buy a four screen press...so i will do some free-lance work, hopefully hook up with a sweet company....got on the bike today, felt good, the air is crisp and cool and i could see the ridges and valleys easily through the trees, much different from summer..off to clean up the studio and get a gocco design going, i will try and finish the gocco tonight, give it all you got..later

4 comments:

Deborah Woods said...

That's a great idea about the clothing design and such. I can really see your designs on snowboards and skateboards also. I wander around a snowboard shop just to look at the art. Good luck with it.

Linda Starr said...

Hope you post your experiences with making molds. I've been thinking of making a few molds of my bowls but want to stick with one piece molds like I learned at Sandra Black's workshop. I wish you luck with your designs on clothing - they are so unique I am sure they would be well received.

www.jeffmartinceramics.blogspot.com said...

thank you for the encouragement. i will definitenly post my progress with the slip-casting.

Patricia Griffin said...

New year. New ideas. All sounds great! Looking forward to seeing Jeff Martin line of skater threads.